Great Wonder in the heavens appearing soon. Is it the most significant sign and event to take place in 7,000 years? That’s what some people are saying. Is it too much hype or are they on to something? I think it’s hype and will lead to more embarrassment in the church.
- And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
- And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
- And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
- And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman who was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
- And she brought forth a man-child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
- And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
- And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
- And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
- And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
- And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
- And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
- Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knows that he hath but a short time.
- And when the dragon saw that he was cast unto the earth, he persecuted the woman who brought forth the man-child.
- And to the woman were given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness, into her place, where she is nourished for a time, and times, and half a time, from the face of the serpent.
- And the serpent cast out of his mouth water as a flood after the woman, that he might cause her to be carried away of the flood.
- And the earth helped the woman, and the earth opened her mouth, and swallowed up the flood which the dragon cast out of his mouth.
- And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Great sign this September
Revelation chapter twelve is getting a lot of attention right now. Many within churches around the world are growing increasingly excited about this “great sign” appearing in the sky on September 23rd of 2017. That’s this year. We’re weeks away from another can’t miss prophecy event. I’m sure a lot of people are cashing out bank accounts and enjoying their last days before they fly up to heaven in a few weeks.
I’m disappointed we are in the midst of another obsession over a sign that isn’t going to pan out as many are hoping. Not surprised though.
A number of problems
There are a number of problems with the interpretation of this sign.
Those who insist this sign will be fulfilled this fall make the claim that great sign shows the catching away of the child up to heaven. This child is the church not Jesus as the vast majority of bible scholars have taught over the years.
The child caught up to heaven is Jesus, not the church. Below are several among many possible commentators who teach the child is Jesus not the church.
Pastor Dave Guzik says this:
Now a great sign appeared: This is the first of seven signs that John relates, and is described as a great sign (mega semeion). In Revelation chapters 12, 13, and 14 the main figures of the Great Tribulation are described, and this great sign introduces the first of the seven:
· The woman, representing Israel
· The dragon, representing Satan
· The man-child, referring to Jesus
· The angel Michael, head of the angelic host
· The offspring of the woman, representing Gentiles who come to faith in the Tribulation
· The beast out of the sea, representing the antichrist
· The beast out of the earth, representing the false prophet who promotes the antichrist
Ellicott’s Commentary for English Readers
(5) And she brought forth . . .–Translate, And she brought forth a man-child, who is to shepherd all the nations with (it is, literally, in) a rod of iron. There can be no doubt that this man-child is Christ. The combination of features is too distinct to admit of doubt, it is the one who will feed His flock like a shepherd (Isaiah 40:12), who is to have, not His own people, but all nations as His inheritance (Psalm 2:7-9), and whose rule over them is to be supreme and irresistible. But the fact that this child is Christ must not cause us to limit the meaning of the vision to the efforts of the evil one to destroy the infant Jesus; for it is also the Christ in the Church which the wicked one hates: and wherever Christ dwells in any heart by faith, and wherever the preachers of the gospel in earnest travail for their Master, seek to lift up Christ, there will the foe be found, like the fowls of the air, ready to carry away the good seed. Though the basis of the vision is in the historical fact, the power of the vision reaches over a wider area, and forcibly reminds us that as there are irreconcilable principles at work in the world, so all these, when traced to their original forms, are the Spirit of Christ and the spirit of the devil.
Verse 5. – And she brought forth a man-child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron; a son, a male – the Greek υἱόν, ἄρσεν, renders it emphatic – who is to rule, as in the Revised Version; to rule, or to govern as a shepherd (cf. the verb in Matthew 2:6). This reference and Psalm 2:9 leave no doubt as to the identification of the man-child. It is Christ who is intended. The same expression is used of him in Revelation 19, where he is definitely called the “Word of God.” And her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne. The sentence seems plainly to refer to the ascension of Christ and his subsequent abiding in heaven, from whence he rules all nations. The seer, perhaps, wishes to indicate at once the absolute immunity of Christ from any harm proceeding from the power of the devil, whose efforts are henceforth directly aimed only at the Church of Christ. Satan still hopes to injure Christ through his members. As remarked above (see on ver. 4), what is true of the personal history of Christ is often true of his Church and of his true members. And thus some have seen in this passage a picture of the woman, the Church, bringing forth members, to devour whom is Satan’s constant purpose, but who in God’s good time are taken to his throne to be near himself.
Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
5. man-child—Greek, “a son, a male.” On the deep significance of this term, see on Re 12:1, 2.
rule—Greek, “poimainein,” “tend as a shepherd”; (see on Re 2:27).
rod of iron—A rod is for long-continued obstinacy until they submit themselves to obedience [Bengal]: Re 2:27; Ps 2:9, which passages prove the Lord Jesus to be meant. Any interpretation which ignores this must be wrong. The male son’s birth cannot be the origin of the Christian state (Christianity triumphing over heathenism under Constantine), which was not a divine child of the woman, but had many impure worldly elements
In summary, the church cannot take the place of Jesus.
- Jesus was and is the promised seed that would take away the sin of the world.
- The church is never described as a ‘man-child.’ Jesus was the man-child
- Jesus was the perfect man sent to take the place of the fallen man Adam.
- The church is the bride of Christ. The one who needed to be saved.
- Jesus rules with a rod of iron not the church. The church worships Jesus who grants her access to heaven.
The child is not the church it is Jesus. When this ‘wonder sign’ passes, and a whole lot of people are embarrassed, let’s just get back to our bibles and learn to take in the whole counsel of God. There will be a smooth transition of events as God describes them in His Word. We can’t just pick a verse and find a few stars in the sky to fit our latest interpretation.
You are not going to have chapter twelve fulfilled before chapter’s six through eleven.