Revelation chapter twelve prophecy appears to point to soon occurring alignment of stars and planets.
There is quite a bit of excitement regarding a supposed coming “sign in the heavens.”
This sign is supposed to take place on September 23rd 2017. That’s this year. The range of speculation about what will happen is of course very broad. Some are suggesting it could be the rapture of the Church. Others are being careful not to be seen as “date-setters” so they remain vague in what they suggest could occur.
But still the excitement is increasing and will most likely reach a very high level once we get into September.
Let’s read the verse which has been strongly claimed will become fulfilled prophecy this year.
- And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
- And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
- And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
- And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.
- And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.
- And the woman fled into the wilderness, where she hath a place prepared of God, that they should feed her there a thousand two hundred and threescore days.
So, according to many, the fulfillment of this prophecy is supposed to take place on 9/23/2017.
I disagree but I don’t want to disparage any person or ministry in particular. I just take issue with their interpretation. It is wrong and it will be proven so on 9/24/2017. Of course there will be plenty of reasons given why it was actually fulfilled but we just didn’t see or realize it. Heard that before.
I sat in a church a few years ago and heard a very similar message concluding that 2011 would be the fulfillment of the above prophetic passage. It didn’t happen.
Apparently 2015 saw a similar spike in expected fulfillment in this Revelation 12 prophecy. That had escaped my attention as the Blood Moon hype was in full bloom.
Now we have an increased level of speculation for this year.
Why is their interpretation wrong?
There are a number of reasons but here’s a couple:
- The ‘man child who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron’ is Jesus, not the church, as is suggested in these prophecy speculations.
- Revelation prophecy will happen in real-time and not a jumbled mess of prophetic guesses. Chapter twelve will not see fulfillment before chapter eleven. Revelation is sequential and the visions, seals, trumpets, and bowls will play out over the course of seven-plus years.
That last statement is a broad generalization as some of the book encompasses the thousand-year reign of Christ but most of it, especially starting in chapter six, refers to a seven-year period of time. The visions referred to in chapter twelve are very close to the middle of those seven years. In chapter eleven we see there are two witnesses who are killed in Jerusalem and left in the street for onlookers to mock their death.
The vision of chapter twelve alludes to past prophetic events before it mentions something that will be fulfilled in the future.
- Israel giving birth to the Messiah; that was Jesus not the church.
- Satan, the dragon, sinning against God and taking a third of the angelic realm with him in that rebellion.
- The man child being taken up to heaven is a reference to Jesus fulfilling his earlier mission and ascending up into the heavens. The early church watched him go up into the clouds and we now wait for his eventual return in like fashion. Only Jesus will rule with a rod of iron.
- Verse six of chapter twelve is what we can expect as future fulfillment.
When the two witnesses are killed in chapter eleven, the Abomination of Desolation as mentioned by the prophet Daniel, the apostle Paul and Jesus will take place soon after.
I understand there is a broad range of disagreement over the proper interpretation of these passages. None of us will know for certain how everything will play out until it has happened but I am very confident we will see a sequence of events as described by the apostle John. It is the clearest way to understand it and that is what I expect.
below are two links to prophecy teachers suggesting what they believe will happen this fall.
The information you will find by following these links is very insightful and well thought out at times but it will result in a lot of disappointed believers and more ammunition for sceptics and critics.
We need to be more careful in our interpretation.
“Study to show yourself approved of God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” 2 Timothy 2:15